- Theological School of the Church of Cyprus1-7 Isocratous, 1016, Nicosia, Cyprus
- Τel: 22443055
- Fax: 22443050
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Christina Hadjiafxenti is since 2020 Teaching associate at the Theological School of the Church of Cyprus, specializing in the field of Byzantine Literature. She is also research assistant at the Faculty of Byzantine Studies of the University of Cyprus. From September 2018 to April 2019 she worked in the research project of the Open University of Cyprus “Byzart: Byzantine Art and Archaeology on Europeana”. From 2015 to 2017 she had a postdoc-scholarship at the Leibniz-Institute for European History in Mainz in Germany and Leibniz-WissenschaftCampus Mainz “Byzantium between Orient and Occident” (Subject of the research project: The reception of Byzantium in the Church historiography of the 19th century. A comparison between German and Greek sources). In 2017 she had also a fellowship at the Georg-Eckert-Institute for International Textbook Research in Braunschweig, Germany.
She participated in many conferences and workshops in Germany and other European countries and was teaching assistant for many semesters at the University of Leipzig in Germany.
October 2011 to July 2015 PhD in Byzantine Philology
University of Leipzig
Subject of the dissertation: “The Saints’ Encomia of Nicolaos Cabasilas. Critical Edition and Translation”
October 2009 to August 2011 MA Classical Philology
University of Leipzig
Grade: 1.1 (German Grading system, equivalent to “excellent”)
September 2005 to June 2009 BA Classical Studies
University of Cyprus
February 2017 to May 2017 Fellowship of Georg-Eckert-Institute for international Schoolbook research, Βraunschweig
October 2011 to December 2014 Scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for PhD studies
October 2010 to August 2011 Scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for Master studies
Palaeography, Text critical edition, Late Byzantine period, Hagiography, Hesychasmus,
Perception of the Byzantine history and literature in the 19th and 20th centuries
- Hadjiafxenti Chr., “Byzantium in Greek Church Historiography of the 19th Century: Between German Protestant Influence and Greek Orthodox Confession”, in: Alshanskaya A., Gietzen A., Hadjiafxenti Chr. (eds), Imagining Byzantium – Perceptions, Patterns and Problems, Mainz 2018, 79-86.
- Hadjiafxenti Chr., Die Heiligenenkomien des Nikolaos Kabasilas. Einleitung und kritische Edition, Leipzig 2015 (a new publication with a part of the work is also in preparation for the Byzantinsches Archiv).
- Hadjiafxenti Chr., “Das Byzanz-Bild im theologischen Werk des Filaretos Vafeides: Plagiat oder kritischer Umgang mit deutschen Vorbildern?”, Orthodoxes Forum (publication in 2020)
- Hadjiafxenti Chr., “Das Byzanz-Bild von Anastasios Diomedes Kyriakos: Protestantischer Einfluss in griechischen Schulbüchern?”, Journal of Educational Media, Memory and Society 2 (2019) 66-85.
- Hadjiafxenti Chr., “Searching for Byzantium in the German church history school books of the 19th century”, in: Religious Exchange and Identities in Europe. Byzantium, the Latin West and the Slavic World, Μainz 2020.
- HadjiafxentiChr., “Mεταξύ Ανατολής και Δύσης. Κυπριακή Γραμματεία επί Φράγκων”, Χρονικό 27 (September 2018) 3-22.