- Theological School of the Church of Cyprus
1-7 Isocratous, 1016, Nicosia, Cyprus
- Τel.: 00357 22 443055
- Fax: 00357 22 443050
- Email: email@example.com
Marios Vryonides is Professor of Sociology, Sociology of Education and Research Methods at the European University Cyprus. He received his PhD from the Institute of Education – University of London (2003). From 2004 until 2009 he was visiting lecturer at the Institute of Education – University of London. He has taught at Anglia Polytechnic (now Ruskin) University (2001-2003) and the University of the Aegean (2004-2007). From 2008 until 2013 he was Cyprus’ national coordinator of the European Social Survey. Among the funded projects he has recently successfully completed are: EU funded project “Basic Skills Education and Training in Prisons” (2013-2015), EU funded project “Children’s Voices: Exploring Interethnic Violence and Children’s Rights in the School Environment” (2011-2013), EU funded project “Fundamental rights education in Europe” (2011-2013). He is currently the Secretary of the Research Committee on Sociology of Education (RC04) of the International Sociological Association (2010-2018). He has published widely on sociological and educational issues in international peer reviewed journals. His research interests focus on contemporary sociological theory, sociology of education and the theories of cultural and social capital.
PhD Institute of Education, University of London, 2003
MA in Sociology, Essex University, 1997
Degree in Sociology, Panteion University, Athens, 1996
- Life Long Learning program, GRUNDTVIG: Basic SKills Education and Training in Prisons (2013-2015)
- European Commission funded program “Children’s voices: exploring interethnic violence in the school environment” (2011 – 2012)
- European Commission funded program program “Fundamental rights education in Europe – FREE” (2011 – 2012)
- National Coordinator of Cyprus in the European Social Survey (2007-2013) Funded by the European Science Foundation and the European University Cyprus
- A sociological investigation of factors that affect pre-adolescences’ school engagement: Implications for learning and pedagogy, European University Cyprus (2008 – 2009)
- Promoting gender equality in the transition from school to the workplace, In-change of the Dodecanese regional research team, Aristotle University of Thessalonica – Department of Psychology (2005-2007)
Selected Publications (Since 2007)
- Stevens, Peter A.J., Vryonides Marios& A. Gary Dworkin (in press). Problems in Education, in A. Javier Treviño, The Cambridge Handbook of Social Problems, Cambridge University Press
- Torlone, F & Vryonides, M.(Eds). (2016). Innovative learning models for prisoners, Firenze (Florence): Firenze University Press
- Vryonides, M.(2014). The Effects of the Economic Crisis on Inter-Ethnic Relations in Cypriot Schools, Journal of Social Science Education, Vol13 (3), DOI 10.2390/jsse.v14.i2.1306
- Vryonides, Mand Spyrou, S. (2014) Cyprus, in Stevens, P. and Dworkin, G.A.(eds) (2014) The Palgrave Handbook of Race and Ethnic Inequalities in Education, New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Vryonides, M. (2014) Interethnic violence in Cypriot public schools: A dormant problem with explosive potentials, in Zorana Medaric, Mateja Sedmak and Sarah Walker (eds) (2014) Children’s Voices: Studies of interethnic conflict and violence in European schools, London and New York: Routledge
- Vryonides, M. Kalli, M. (2013) The effect of age in the way adolescents report and experience interethnic violence in five European countries, ANNALES • Ser. hist. sociol. 23 (2) 275-290.
- Vryonides, M. and Lambrianou, I. (2013) Education and social stratification across Europe, International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy Vol.33 (1) pp.87-99
- Vryonides, M. and Gouvias, D. (2012) Parents’ aspirations for their children’s educational and occupational prospects in Greece: the role of social class, International Journal of Educational Research
- Kassimeris C. and Vryonides M. (2012) (eds.), The Politics of Education: Challenging Multiculturalism, London and New York: Routledge
- Vryonides, M. (2011) Weberian Influences in the work of Pierre Bourdieu, In Antonopoulou, M. and S. Chiotakis, Max Weber, Athens: Nisos
- Vryonides, M. (2011) The sampling strategy of Cyprus in the ESS, Invited chapter in a collective volume edited by Serdedakis, Kallas and Tsiolis “Empirical Research and Research Infrastructure in the Social Sciences”, Athens: Nisos.
- Vryonides, M. (2010) Gender and reconciliation of private and public social sphere: theoretical underpinnings and empirical examples, in Y. Papageorgiou, Gender Research in Greece, Athens: Gutenberg, pp. 247-265
- Vryonides, M. (2010) Religiosity in Cyprus: A critical examination of ESS findings for Cyprus, in Κ. Gouliamos and Μ. Vryonides (eds.) Perspectives of the Cypriot Society through the ESS findings, Nicosia: En Toipis (In Greek)
- Ball, S., Dworkin, G. & Vryonides, M. (eds) (2010) Globalization and education, Current Sociology, 58 (4)
- Gouliamos, K. and Vryonides, M. (eds.) (2010) Perspectives of the Cypriot Society through the ESS findings, Nicosia: En Toipis (In Greek)
- Vryonides, M. (2009) Applying Bourdieu’s concepts of social and cultural capital in educational research in Greece and Cyprus, in Karen Robson and Chris Sanders (eds) Quantifying Theory: Pierre Bourdieu, Springer Science & Business Media B.V., pp. 129-141
- Pavlou, V. & Vryonides, M. (2009) Understanding factors that influence teachers’ technology acceptance and actual computer use for teaching; the case of Greece, Mediterranean Journal of Educational Studies, 14 (2), 5-25.
- Vryonides, M., Sabour, M. & Antikainen, A. (eds) (2008) Education in times of global changes, International Journal of Contemporary Sociology, 45 (2), 7-11
- Vryonides, M. and Vitsilakis, C. (2008) Widening Participation in Postgraduate Studies in Greece: Mature Working Women Attending to an E-learning Programme, Journal of Education Policy, Vol. 23, 197-206.
- Vryonides, M(2008) A Sociological Inquiry into Time Management in Postgraduate Studies by E-learning in Greece, European Journal of E-learning, Vol. 6, 67-76.
- Vryonides, M& Zembylas, M. (2008) Distance Education Opportunities for Mature Women in Greece and Cyprus: Comparative Perspectives and Implications, European Journal of Open, Distance and e-learning special issue “What is the Role of Distance Education in the Implementation of the “Right” or “Access” to Education?” <http://www.distanceandaccesstoeducation.org/index.aspx>
- Pavlou, V., Tsaousis, I. Vryonides, M., & Vitsilakis, C. (2008) Assessing the Dimensionality and other Psychometric Properties of a Greek Translation of the Sex-Role Egalitarianism Scale (Form B), Sex Roles, 59, 787-799
- Vryonides, M(2007) Capital, Habitus and Horizons for Social Action in Education, International Journal of Contemporary Sociology, Vol. 44 (2), pp. 189- 200.
- Vryonides, M(2007) Social and cultural capital in educational research: Issues of operationalisation and measurement, British Educational Research Journal, Vol. 33 (6), pp. 867 – 885.
- Vryonides, M. (2007) Struggling between tradition and modernity: gender and educational choice-making in contemporary Cyprus, Gender and Education, Vol. 19 (1), pp. 93–107